Sunday, May 11, 2008

What is a Spiritual Disciplines Blog?

(from Clif Davis)

Welcome to an experiment!

At Trinity Baptist Church in Fairfield CT, from Mother’s Day to Father’s Day 2008, we are looking at building patterns in our lives that help us connect with God. Some people call these patterns “Spiritual Disciplines.” Here is an example of a pattern in my life--I don't plan and strategize how I am going to maintain my dental health. I just have a pattern of daily teeth-brushing that I don't even really think about. Teeth-brushing is not really a spiritual discipline! But, in my life, I can build patterns of service, and Bible study and other habits that help connect me with God. We hope this blog will help people build habits into their lives that the Holy Spirit can use to keep us abiding in Christ.

We need to remember that we do not earn God’s favor by doing certain things. The work of Jesus on the cross fully satisfied God the Father. But we can make choices that help us gain the life we’ve always wanted. Be encouraged! Galatians 5:25 says “Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.” What pattern will help you keep in step with the Spirit today? Please share your comments and questions at this blog through Father’s Day 2008.

No comments: