Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Memorizing Scripture

(Len Evans)

[Len served as a youth pastor at Trinity in the past and currently is serving a church in Texas. Thanks Len for joining us today for the blog!]

Flossing is one of those things that we know we should do but most of us don't do it regularly, if at all. The benefits of flossing have been told to us since we were children. They invented mint floss to help with the flavor and the new "flossers" that make it easier to reach those spaces between our teeth to help us form a good habit and yet, most of Americans still don't floss. Twenty-eight percent of Americans say they floss daily, but actual sales of floss don't match that claim.

Is it because we doubt the experts?

No.

Is it because we don't know the truth?

No.

It's because we don't choose what is best for our dental health.

I believe memorizing scripture is the dental floss of the spiritual disciplines. We all know we should memorize God's word in one form or another. The righteous man is to meditate on God's law during the day and night. (Psalm 1) Hiding God's word in our heart helps us resist temptation. (Psalm 119:11, Matthew 4:1-10 target="_blank") We are told to write God's commands on our hearts. (Proverbs 7:1-3)

Sometimes God's will is hard to discern but in this area God's will is clear. It pleases God for his children to meditate on his word. Memorizing scripture marinates your mind with God's truth so you are more prepared to do his will. (Romans 12:1-2) We need to put our knowledge into action and not just soak up truth. (James 1:22)

Three keys for memorizing scripture:

1. Review
2. Review
3. Review

The Topical Memory System is a great place to start or you can write down your favorite verses on note cards. Keep them in front of you and read them in those spare moments during the day (red lights, waiting in line at the store, etc.) Before you know it, you'll have God's Word hidden in your heart.

If you prefer, you can do larger portions such as favorite chapters of the bible or even a small book, like Philippians. It's actually easier to do large chunks than random verses but we all need to have some basic verses in our mind so we will also be prepared to give the reason for our hope when people ask. (1 Peter 3:15)

Choose what is best for your spiritual health.

If you are motivated to begin and want more basic details read: How to Memorize Scripture.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful post. I do agree that studying the word takes discipline on our part. It is not enough just to read God's word~we must study it and memorize it so well that His words are written~carved on our heart. The more we read about Jesus, the more we will be able to feel, hear,and understand who He is~our Lord and Saviour. The more I read God's word the more I can recognize His voice giving me direction~I've come to a point in my life~with the help of the Holy Ghost~that I am able to recognize what is honoring to God or to Satan. It has taken me around 20years to really understand what is right in God's eyes and what is wrong~Jesus helped me to understand that I have to take His words to heart and act on them. He has taught me to come to Him with a joyful spirit and not in a legalistic way~by rote~not really feeling Jesus in me~just feeling like prayer-time was another thing to check off on my to-do list. I don't want my devotions or my prayer time to ever go back to being mechanical. Jesus still has so much to teach me~He has never given up on me~He has become the love of my life~He is all light and goodness~you will never find any darkness in His love for you. This world would be a very dark and ugly place with out Jesus. Blessings, Rose

julie said...

Everyone is different, of course, but our family has found that learning Scripture set to music really solidifies it in your memory. There are some great CD/mp3 albums out there that have Scripture set to music---many designed for kids but that adults would also enjoy. We recommend the Seeds series (Seeds of Faith, Seeds of Praise, Seeds of Courage, and Seeds of Purpose). You can find them at a Christian bookstore or online at places like amazon.com or the CBD website.

For me personally, lots of the Scripture I have learned to music has come from years of singing in church choirs. I'm amazed sometimes to realize how many portions of Psalms, Philippians, Lamentations, etc. are cemented in my head because I sang them in a choir anthem along the way. Come join the choir; we'll teach ya some Scripture! :-)

Seriously, though, whether it's through the topical memory system, music, or yet another way that works for you, having Scripture inside your head is a great way to be able to correct your own thinking or recognize unbiblical teaching when you come across it. And it's a huge encouragement when you can easily remember the promises that remind you that God has good plans for you and will never leave you.

Steve said...

Thank God for his word. It is correcting me as I write. Last evening I looked over James,and it hit me between the eyes.I opened it up and there it was,the tongue, the power both good and bad of this little, powerful part of my body.In a practical sense me having access to the word help's me apply it as best I can and I know that when I fall short Jesus still love's me and takes me in!!! How cool is that.This is my first time blogging anywhere and I am grateful it is part of Trinity's blog.:-)!! God Bless Steve P.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Julie. Learning scripture to music is amazing. Our family also has found that music is such a great way to share scripture, as well.

Another awesome tool is when we find worship songs are right from scripture. In fact, while meditating on scripture, I sometimes find myself recognizing verses from worship songs we sang on Sunday, at churh. So cool!!!

Robert said...

I find what Julie says to be true for me. Because I have been involved with music all my life, I find it easier for me to memorize by doing it to song. Thanks Julie for the specific places I can find to this with cd/mp3. If some of you are like me, I find I have trouble even remembering names. So I have to use "tricks" that will help me. I still struggle, but the rewards are worth it, especially in time of trial or at times of witness.